The Label Committee has to approve all labels before they can be used on certified wines or estate brandies. The particulars which are permitted are prescribed by regulations, the Wine of Origin Scheme and the Scheme for Estate Brandy.
All compulsory particulars such as the class name, alcohol content, name and address or code number of the responsible seller, the origin appellation or the name of the geographical unit has to appear in the same visual field on one or more labels of a bottle of wine or estate brandy. Click HERE to see details of information which must appear on the label.
Compulsory information must be clearly distinguished from other information on the label. The following information may only be used with regard to the selling of wine if the Wine of Origin Scheme authorises it:
· The name of the area which is defined as a ward, district, region or geographical unit.
· Names of grape cultivars.
· The indication of vintage.
· The words 'estate', 'vineyard', 'origin' and 'vintage'.
· The term 'Wine of Origin'.